Playbook

Peterson is back with the Vikings despite Child Abuse Charges

September 15th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Peterson-is-back-with-the-Vikings-despite-Child-Abuse-Charges

 

Adrian Peterson, who is considered one of the best running backs in the NFL, was benched Sunday due to his scandal regarding the physical abuse of his 4 year old son. He was charged with child abuse less than a week ago when news broke that he used a wooden switch to spank his young son. Zygi and Mark Wilf, the owners of the Minnesota Vikings, said they were looking to await more definitive news of the legal processes at hand before making any rash decisions on Peterson’s future. “To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently, we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward,” the owners said. Peterson will be facing court in Texas on Wednesday, on the charge of reckless or negligent injury to a child. If convicted he can go to jail for up to two years and have to pay a $10,000 fine.

Article by:
Helen Trieu

Oscar Pistorius Aquitted for Girlfriend’s Murder, Convicted of Culpable Homicide

September 12th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Oscar-Pistorius-Aquitted-for-Girlfriend-s-Murder-Convicted-of-Culpable-Homicide

 

“The accused cannot be found guilty of murder,” the Judge Thokozile Matilda Masipa said.  Those are the words Oscar Pistorius heard as the judge began reading aloud the verdict.  The judge in Oscar Pistorius’ trial ruled out a murder conviction for the double-amputee Olympian on Thursday, in the death of his girlfriend but said he was negligent, raising the possibility he will be convicted of culpable homicide; the killing of someone through reckless or negligent behavior.  Early this morning Judge Masipa announced the final verdict. After being found guilty of culpable homicide Pistorius will be facing a maximum of 15 years behind bars. Pistorius killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in the predawn hours of Valentine’s Day last year, about six months after he dazzled the world by running in the Olympics on carbon-fiber blades called “Flex-Foot Cheetahs.” He claimed that it was in defense as he believed an intruder had entered his home. He shot at a locked toilet cubicle door only to find out after breaking it down that it was Steenkamp that was inside. Her death has been determined to be an accident. Judge Masipa has agreed to extend Pistorius’ bail until his hearing proceedings begin October 13th, 2014.

Article By
Cristian Hernandez

Floyd “Money” Mayweather to Retire in 2015

September 10th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Floyd-Money-Mayweather-to-Retire-in-2015

 

The best pound for pound fighter in boxing has decided to walk away from the sport next year.  During a press conference, in advance of Saturday’s rematch against Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said that he plans to retire at the conclusion of his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract, which will likely be next September. “I only got two more fights left (after Saturday) and after the next two fights I just want to build the Mayweather Promotions brand.  My next fight [after Maidana] is in May [next year] and my last fight is in September, so a year from now will be my last fight,” said the 37-year-old legend. “My focus is on Maidana. I can’t focus on the other two fights after that. I have to focus on Maidana. After that we can’t say who’s the next two are going to be but I’m pretty sure the next two will be exciting fights.” Last May, Maidana gave the champ one of the most competitive fights of his dominant career, landing 221 punches, which is the most ever against Mayweather.  He has enjoyed quite a bit of success in the boxing ring, amassing a 46-0 record with 26 knockouts (KOs).  Although he will no longer be fighting, Mayweather still plans to be involved in the sport as a promoter.  “I’ll still work with my stable of fighters, still build the Mayweather Promotions brand,” he said. “We have young fighters that we work with.”

Article By
Cristian Hernandez

Running Back Ray Rice is Cut from the Ravens after Video of Domestic Violence was Released

September 8th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Running-Back-Ray-Rice-is-Cut-from-the-Ravens-after-Video-of-Domestic-Violence-was-Released

 

Although the Baltimore Ravens originally supported Ray Rice, their running back, during the off season as he was dealing with a domestic violence scandal, they have now officially cut the cord after TMZ leaked footage of the incident. The team cut him this afternoon, taking to their Twitter to officiate the news stating “The #Ravens have terminated RB Ray Rice’s contract this afternoon.” Not long after the NFL also made a statement, tweeting “Roger Goodell has announced that based on new video evidence that became available today he has indefinitely suspended Ray Rice.” Just a few months prior, members of the Raven’s roster were supporting Rice, making statements in his defense. John Harbaugh, the head coach stated, “He will be part of our team. He’s a person of character. The thing that’s really important is to be able to support the person without condoning the action. He makes a mistake. There’s no justifying what happened. When you drink too much in public, those kind of things happen.” I guess it was easier to make those generalized statements and keeping him on board for the sake of the team when there was just verbal accounts of the incident. However, after seeing it inaction and on video, it’s hard to condone someone with that kind of behavior, no matter how beneficial. It’s hard to say what will be next for Rice, but let’s hope he learned his lesson.

 

Article by:
Helen Trieu

Seattle Crushes Green Bay in the 2014 NFL Season Opener

September 5th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Seattle-Crushes-Green-Bay-in-the-2014-NFL-Season-Opener

 

With the new NFL season finally kicking off, the defending Super Bowl Champions, the Seattle Seahawks, picked up right where they left off.  The Seahawks came out playing the same brand of football that earned them the Lombardi Trophy at the end of last year! Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, and Marshawn Lynch powered a Seattle offense to an easy victory on Thursday Night Football.  Wilson went for 191 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 19 of 28 passing, Harvin had 100 combined yards rushing and receiving, and Lynch rushed for 110 yards and a pair of touchdowns as Seahawks stymied Aaron Rodgers’ up-tempo offense in a 36-16 win over the Green Bay Packers to kick off the regular season. A usually potent offense, anchored by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, was held in check by a Seattle defense that looked elite causing 3 sacks, 1 turnover and a safety.  Coming into the season the Packers were seen as a team that would contend with the Seahawks in the NFC, but after Thursday’s performance the Packers proved they have a long way to go. Both teams will get some extra rest and return to action next Sunday as the Seahawks take on the San Diego Chargers and the Packers go up against the New York Jets.

Article By
Cristian Hernandez

Michael Sam Likely To Sign with the Dallas Cowboys

September 3rd, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Michael-Sam-Likely-To-Sign-with-the-Dallas-Cowboys

 

Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL, will have a shot at starting his career in the NFL after all.  After being cut by the team that drafted him, the St. Louis Rams, Sam will likely be signed to the Dallas Cowboys’ practice squad, pending a physical Wednesday.  Practice squad members are individuals who work out with a team but don’t play in games—and are often called up to replace team members who are injured or underperforming. The Rams spent a seventh-round draft pick, No. 249 overall, on Sam in May’s draft. He put together a solid preseason performance, coming up with 11 tackles and three sacks, but ultimately was cut when teams had to cut their rosters down to 53 players.  Sam was named 2013 SEC defensive player of the year at Missouri and led the Rams with six tackles in last week’s preseason loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Article By:
Cristian Hernandez

Nike Fights to Hold Onto Durant, Matches Under Armour’s $265 Million Dollar Deal

September 1st, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Nike Fights to Hold Onto Durant, Matches Under Armour’s $265 Million Dollar Deal

Oklahoma City Thunder player Kevin Durant’s seven year contract with Nike is coming to an end, and with competition like Under Armour offering him a 10 year contract worth $265-$285 million, Nike is fighting to hold on. Nike, who also endorses Cleveland Cavaliers player Lebron James and Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant told Durant and his representatives at Roc Nation that they plan to match Under Armour’s offer. Omar Saad, senior managing director of ISI said Durant’s signature KD shoes generated up to $175 million in retail sales this past year. He went on to say, “For Nike, this was nothing to them. They could easily build Durant’s business enough, assuming normal margins, where they could generate a cash flow of $60 million a year. And Nike is really goof at monetizing its marketing assets, way better than anyone else.” At this point, it’s likely that Durant will be staying with Nike. Under Armour successfully bought out Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry but lost Los Angeles Clippers’ Blake Griffin who returned to Nike.

Article by:
Helen Trieu

American Teen, Catherine “CiCi” Bellis, sees run at U.S. Open come to an end

August 29th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

American-Teen-Catherine-CiCi-Bellis-sees-run-at-US-Open-come-to-an-end

 

Two days after shocking the tennis world and becoming the youngest American since 1996 to win a match at the U.S. Open, CiCi Bellis was eliminated from the tournament.  Bellis fought back after losing the first set, but ultimately came up short in her second round match Thursday night at the US Open.  The momentum she gained on Tuesday wasn’t enough as she lost to 48th-ranked Zarina Diyas of Kazakhstan 6-3, 0-6, 6-2. “Maybe it didn’t turn out how I wanted it to, but thank you, everybody, for coming out and watching,” Bellis told the overflowing and wildly supportive crowd in an on-court interview. “It was amazing. I mean, I never thought I’d be here.” Americans began to jump on the Bellis bandwagon on Tuesday when she stunned 12th ranked Dominika Cibulkova, who was the Australian Open runner-up, by a score of 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.  Bellis secured her place in the tournament by defeating Tornado Alicia Black in the USTA Girls’ 18s National Championship and earning a U.S. Open wild card. In doing so, she became the youngest winner of that 18-and-under event since Lindsay Davenport in 1991. That win helped Bellis move to No. 2 in the world junior rankings.

Article By
CRISTIAN HERNANDEZ

Kevin Love Set to Join Cleveland Cavaliers

August 27th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Kevin-Love-Set-to-Join-Cleveland-Cavaliers

Kevin Love has been welcomed by the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs finally introduced him yesterday after acquiring him in a three-team trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Philadelphia 76ers Saturday.  He has a legitimate shot of finally making the playoffs this upcoming season, after missing out on them the past six years playing for Minnesota.  He will come to Cleveland and form a new “Big Three” with LeBron James and Kyrie Irving that will make the Cavaliers a favorite in the Eastern Conference. “Kevin joining the Cavaliers represents a very special and unique opportunity for our team. At only 25, Kevin has already firmly established himself as one the NBA’s elite players and his talent, versatility and fit are major parts of our team’s vision for success,” Cleveland GM David Griffin said in a statement.

With a revamped roster this season, Love is aware of the damage this team can do and made it known at his press conference that he plans to stay for the long haul.  “I’m committed to this team, committed long term to the end goal and that’s to win championships,” he said.The name in front of his jersey will not be the only thing changing for Love.  In 1977 the Cavs retired the No. 42 to Nate Thurmond so he will be switching to No. 0 after six years. “I thought this was a chance to start fresh,” Love said, “and pick a new number that would suit me. I just decided that 0 was the right fit for me.” It will be take time for the Cavs to come together as a team and play the brand of basketball everyone expects, but Love is intrigued by the additions the team made this off-season and cannot wait for the new season to begin. “We know LeBron is the focal point,” Love said, “But we have a lot of damn good players.”

Article BY:
CRISTIAN HERNANDEZ

Tiger Woods Parts Ways with Swing Coach After 4 Years

August 25th, 2014   admin  Uncategorized   No Comments »

Tiger-Woods-Parts-Ways-with-Swing-Coach-After-4-Years

Golf legend Tiger Woods took to his website to announce that he and swing coach Sean Foley will be parting ways after four years working together. “I’d like to thank Sean for his help as my coach and for his friendship. Sean is one of the outstanding coaches in golf today, and I know he will continue to be successful with the players working with him. With my next tournament not until my World Challenge event at Isleworth in Orlando, this is the right time to end our professional relationship,” Woods said. There has been much controversy surrounding Woods and Foley’s relationship. Foley started with Woods in 2010, a time when Woods was not exactly on his game. After a difficult year in 2011, Foley saw Woods pick up three wins in 2012 and five in 2013. Woods however, was continually criticized for his swing, especially this season due to the numerous injuries he suffered. Despite the reason, the two seemed to have parted ways on amicable terms. The good news is Woods will have some time to find a new coach as he isn’t really scheduled to play until 2015. Who do you think he should partner up with next? Should he have stayed with Foley? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Article by:
Helen Trieu