Recently in the streets of New York City, electric bicycles have been lighting on fire and causing damage to the city and the locals.
Two children were recently killed in a fire caused by an electric bicycle on Monday. The fire department said, “The fire started in the first-floor entrance of a Multi-family building in Queens and then traveled “directly up the stairs” to a second-floor apartment.
A father with multiple children we’re living at the time in the upstairs apartment of the fire. The father and three of the children were able to escape the fire. But two of the children were not able to make it.
John Hodgens told reporters, “It’s a terrible tragedy,” Hodgens said, adding firefighters arrived at the scene in about three minutes. “We got here very quickly – and if this was not an e-bike fire, most likely, we would’ve been able to put this fire out without incident. But the way these fires occur, it’s like an explosion of fire.”
Lithium-ion batteries are used in our phones, laptops, electric scooters, and E-Bikes. But it is also the very cause of this fire and the deaths that have been happening. The exploding of the battery has now killed five people in New York City this year and has caused 63 fires.
“We are also calling on our federal, state, and local partners to move quickly on regulations that will help ensure tragedies like today’s fire are prevented,” New York City Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said in a statement.