Are you trying to diversify your diet while staying healthy? Having all this extra time at home is the perfect chance to explore new foods that taste good and still give you all the nutrients your body needs. There is no doubt that this year has brought unprecedented events that none of us anticipated. That doesn’t mean that you can’t make the most of your own unique situation! I am here to provide some tips on how to maintain your health with different foods from the comfort of your home.
For those who are trying to build muscle, protein is obviously one of the most important food groups to hit. Some common sources of protein for meat-eaters include eggs, fish, poultry, and lean red meats. Salmon is particularly spectacular because it contains Omega-3 fatty acids that are known for lowering blood pressure and preventing heart disease. We included some creative protein-rich recipes containing meat at the end of this article. If you are vegetarian, vegan, or simply trying to reduce meat intake, however, there are plenty of alternatives. Peanut butter, lentils, nuts, and quinoa are just some of the many options you have that stay away from meat. Protein shakes are also a great choice because you can customize them based on your tastes. They are incredibly filling and can serve as a pre-workout or even a meal in itself. We provided a list of vegetarian recipes that don’t contain meat, as well as popular protein shake recipes, at the end of this article.
Carbs are an important part of your diet, but you must learn to eat them in moderation. To make the most of your carbs, you should incorporate sources of fiber into them. Some examples of fibrous carbs are chickpeas, oats, whole grains, and brown rice. Fruits and vegetables are just as essential because they incorporate vitamins and minerals necessary for our bodies to function. Some of the most beneficial fruits and vegetables include bananas, oranges, papayas, grapes, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and carrots. It can be tempting to go for more processed and fatty carbs when given the option, but try to resist and instead find ways to include these options in your diet.
Staying hydrated is also a factor that is overlooked in healthy living. On average, daily fluid intake should be around 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters for women. Keep in mind that about 20% of water intake comes from a person’s diet. Finally, even though counting calories is not always the best indication of a healthy diet, total daily caloric intake is a good way to tell if you are eating in moderation. Women, on average, should consume about 2000 calories a day, and men should consume about 2500.
It might seem hard to stay motivated during this time, especially with everything feeling so uncertain in the world. We hope you either learned something new or feel motivated to fill your diet with wholesome foods! Being restricted to our homes does not have to prevent us from leading a healthy life, and it would mean so much if you could join us in doing so!
Protein-rich non-vegetarian recipes
- Sesame-Crusted Salmon with Sriracha-Glazed Vegetables: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/sesame-crusted-salmon-with-sriracha-glazed-veg/
- Chicken Enchiladas: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/chicken-enchiladas-2/
- Chicken and Quinoa Burritos: https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/high-protein-recipes?slide=0bf09a8c-1e3f-4ef0-bfe6-cb0ad7c2e8f2#0bf09a8c-1e3f-4ef0-bfe6-cb0ad7c2e8f2
Protein-rich vegetarian recipes
- Black Bean Tostadas with Sweet Potatoes and Poblanos https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/high-protein-recipes?slide=a1c9b699-5fa1-460d-8c3a-aafb6b7f6278#a1c9b699-5fa1-460d-8c3a-aafb6b7f6278
- Edamame Fried Rice: https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/edamame-fried-rice/17672/
- Vegetarian Chili: https://www.foodnetwork.ca/healthy-eating/photos/high-protein-vegetarian-meals/#!hearty-vegetarian-chili
- Chocolate PB Banana Protein Shake- https://asimplepalate.com/blog/best-chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-shake/
- Vanilla Berry Protein Smoothie- https://tasty.co/recipe/vanilla-berry-protein-smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Protein Shake- https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244960/strawberry-banana-protein-shake/