Judge Aileen Cannon declined to delay Trump’s documents trial

The request to delay President Donald Trump’s documents trial has been denied by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon, for now.

According to CBS News, Trump’s lawyers had previously asked Cannon to delay the trial until after the 2024 presidential election due to multiple ongoing cases against Trump, including the one in Washington, D.C., where the former president pled not guilty to charges on allegedly hindering the transfer of presidential power after the 2020 election.

Additionally, Trump and his lawyers drew concerns over the enormous amount of evidence prosecutors were able to procure, as well as the short timeframe Trump and his lawyers had to review said evidence.

Unfortunately for them, Cannon has denied their request for an extension “for now”, as stated in her 9-page decision on Friday. That said, Cannon stated that she would reconsider a delay in the upcoming conference on March 1, 2024, after acknowledging the concerns of Trump’s attorneys, noting that the amount of evidence was “exceedingly voluminous, even more so than initially thought.”

“Although the Special Counsel is correct that the trajectory of these matters potentially remains in flux, the schedules as they currently stand overlap substantially with the deadlines in this case, presenting additional challenges to ensuring defendant Trump has adequate time to prepare for trial and to assist in his defense,” she wrote.

Steven Cheung, a spokesperson for the Trump Campaign, expressed gratitude towards Cannon in a statement to NBC News regarding the March conference.

“We look forward to the conference set by Judge Cannon for next March, where future scheduling matters, including a potential trial date, will be discussed,” Cheung wrote.

“The concerted effort by the Biden Administration to deny President Trump’s constitutional rights to prepare for trial reveal their corrupt motives,” Cheung said. “It is clearly in the best interest of Justice for President Trump to have adequate time to prepare and file motions as he works to defeat these hoaxes and marches back to the White House.”

Share:

Join Our Mailing List

Recent Articles

Israel and Hamas ceasefire talks collapse

The week-long ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has broken down, resuming the conflict. According to AP News, airstrikes resumed their bombardment on the Gaza Strip

Hey! Are you enjoying NYCTastemakers? Make sure to join our mailing list for NYCTM and never miss the chance to read all of our articles!