Ever wake up in a sneezing frenzy or your eyes sealed shut? Well, that’s simply your immune system overreacting to particles that enter your body. While they may be non-threatening, they can still trick your body into thinking it’s a harmful microorganism.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you understand that spring means a constant runny nose, congestion, sneezing, and other bothersome symptoms. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 50 million Americans experience an allergic reaction each year, and the best treatment will depend on the cause and severity of the reaction.
With the rise in climate change, it is only natural that pollen counts are to increase in the coming years. However, there are ways to combat your body’s reaction with some simple remedies that are sure to give you relief.
While this is a no-brainer, over-the-counter medicines are an effective resource to give you instant relief in less than thirty minutes. The most popular brands are Zyrtec, Allegra, and Claritin, which range from giving you 10-24 hours of relief from your symptoms. You can find these at your local Pharmacy center at affordable prices. For the best results, pick up some nasal spray and eye drops to carry on yourself when you’re outdoors. Please be sure to check with your healthcare providers beforehand, as you need to know what medication is best for you and not everyone else.
Reduce your Exposure to Triggers
- Wear a mask; it filters out most irritants that enter your airways. An N95 is effective for protecting you from 95% of particles like pollen or dust mites.
- Remove clothing that you have worn outside as soon as you get home. It is common for particles to attach to your clothes and then transfer to furniture or cloth-like materials.
- Take showers more frequently; it is effective to remove pollen from your skin and hair so you will not transfer it to your bed or clothes.
- Stay inside as much as you, the best time to leave your house is on rainy days as it will clear out most of the irritants outside.
- Changing your filter and closing your windows is extremely important as it will remove the recycling of harmful particles within your home.
- If you wear contacts, switch to wearing your glasses, as particles can easily stick and enter under the surface of your contacts, causing the onset of symptoms.
- Avoid touching your face (wash your hands beforehand!)
By taking these precautions for the upcoming spring seasons, you can avoid any disturbances and enjoy the weather!