The McLaren Formula One team announced Friday that it would continue using Mercedes engines until at least 2030.
This extends an existing contract signed in 2021, which originally lasted until 2025. McLaren and Mercedes were previously partners from 1995 to 2014.
“It has been a cornerstone of our motorsport strategy to work with strong customer teams,” said Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff in a statement prior to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. “This has many advantages: it gives a clear competitive benchmark, accelerates our technical learning, and strengthens the overall F1 business case for Mercedes-Benz.”
McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown shared in the positive feelings. “The extension signifies the confidence that our shareholders and the wider team have in their powertrains and the direction we’re taking with them into the new era of regulations ahead,” he said.
McLaren’s last win was at the Monza circuit in 2021, but have still done well with fifteen podium finishes in the three most recent seasons – seven secured by Lando Norris this season.
McLaren was fourth in the constructor’s championship in the leadup to Abu Dhabi, ahead of Aston Martin – who will notably be switching from Mercedes to Honda in 2026.
Honda is one of several manufacturers who will be joining the array of engine makers for F1 in 2026 – rejoining in Honda’s case. The coming decade will also see a Red Bull/Ford partnership in 2026, Audi entering in the same year, General Motors supplying a potential Andretti Cadillac team in 2028. The new power units being made for 2026 will be 50% internal combustion engines and 50% electric.